Sunday, August 15, 2010

Game night is good, right?!?

Game night is good, right? Well, that is what the commercials say at least.  So, in another effort of family unification I decided to try to play some games as a family together.  That can be difficult when that kids ages range from 1-11.  I bought Tommy one of those new Lego games yesterday so I thought that would be a good idea.  Guess I was wrong.  Tommy only wanted to play with me or at least 2 teams because it would take too long for 4 people to play.  Rita was screaming that she did not want to be on a team she wanted to play by herself.  So of course the yelling started. Tommy finally said the good old...."It is my game and you can't play!"  So I try to redirect to a more age appropriate game that all can play.  After carefully trying to be loving and calm with no yelling (on my part at least), we agreed on Hungry, Hungry Hippo followed by Book of Mormon Bingo.  Sounds good enough huh? Oh how you would be wrong.  Somehow there are only 7 marbles in the Hungry, Hungry Hippo game, which causes a real problem in how you play the game.  So being the clever person that I am I decide that I will drop one marble at a time on the game and we will all go after it, then the next one and so on.  Good idea, right? WRONG.  Well, it went good the first game or so until Rita decided that she wanted all the marbles. Then on course Sheridan could not be left out of the exciting Hungry, Hungry Hippo game and decided she wanted all the marbles. I mean, it is geared toward 9 yr old girls right? (insert sarcasm and rolling of eyes) I redirect the argument and after a little while we end that game and start on the Bingo.  Luckily the Bingo went pretty well, besides the fact that my kids can't stand to lose!  I blame that on the Schoens! I only can't stand to lose on Skipbo (inside joke). But really all you Schoens know that losing is not the best trait of the family. And if anyone has played a Schoen in a game they are VERY competitive.  This can be a good thing when it is harnessed for good.  Unfortunately it is my challenge to get my kids to use it for good instead of evil!  So far I think evil is winning.  But I must persevere right?  I will keep trying the family game night but I think I need to find a few more games that we ALL can play. Or, I need to clone myself that way I can play with each of them at the same time of course.  Because taking turns and sharing Mom are other things we need to work on, but that is another story!

3 comments:

  1. What?!? A Schoen competitive? This is the first I'm hearing of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - yes I must agree that this is news to me...just ask Christen about playing skipbo this summer. all hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. weird - this is actually Beth typing but for some reason our computer thinks this is john...whatevs. love you!

    ReplyDelete