Thursday, August 12, 2010

Why do they call it Chicken Pox?

Well, in the wonderful world of immunizations you get used to not getting the "normal" childhood diseases. So Sheridan decided to shake things up a little and get good old chicken pox. That is right, I thought they were bugs bites at first. Afterall ,we are in South Texas and it is summer... summertime and mosquitos are synonymos. My Mom suggested chicken pox, but Sheridan has been vaccinated and even got a booster shot 2 months ago so I thought it had to be something else. But when I called the nurse she said to come in because if it was chicken pox they have to report it to the CDC! So we go and meet with Dr. Fischer. Our first time seeing him and he is very nice but sceptical that it would be chicken pox since she had the vaccines. She has about 25 "pox" on her trunk and I guess the full blown chicken pox are much worse and very obvious. So Dr Fischer say, " I am pretty sure it is chicken pox and should get better in 7 to 10 days. If it does not improve in that time we will look at something else." So I ask what else it could be. And good old Dr. Fischer says," Scabies." SCABIES?!?!?!?!? Oh how I hope it is chicken pox! Sheridan looks at me (I must have had a worried look on my face) and asks what scabies is. Now, I am not going to tell a 9 yr old little girl that scabies are mites that burrow into your skin, but I was not sure what to tell her. Dr. Fischer looks at her and says,"Oh, it is not big deal" and she was fine with that. Good thing he was there otherwise there would have been one little girl freaking out in the doctors office!

So the Schoen home is contagious! Luckily it is only spread by touch and all of her "pox" are on her trunk and are covered my her clothing. Plus the doctor gave her some medicine to help with the itching and it is wonderful! She takes it and does not even complain. She even only took it once today, so I think she is better. The bad thing is we were going to go the beach next week and we had to cancel it. The doctor did not want her around that many people even if the sores are dry swimming is a no no. The good thing is that it will save me a lot of money and Sheridan will have a story to get lots of attention! She likes attention if you did not know.

Now, for any of you that know me I am a picker. I am one of those people that can not stand to see someone with a blackhead especially the elderly. Some of those get HUGE!!!! So, staying at home has been difficult. Dealing with a child that now feels that it is all her fault that we had to cancel the trip has been difficult. But I think the hardest part has been not trying to pop the pox! This might gross you out but there has been some that are big with this perfect white tip. But, I have been good. I have resisted temptation and now most of the white ones are gone.

Now, I want to know why they call it Chicken pox. My thought is that the pox look like chicken skin, any answers?

2 comments:

  1. well, I don't know why they are called chicken pox but this reminds me of that DISGUSTING video you sent me one time of that woman popping that HUGE zit or whatever that thing was on her husband's back. Remember that? It just kept oozing crap and they kept saying how stinky it was. so gross!!!

    ReplyDelete